Mingo County, West Virginia Genealogy
Mingo County, West Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to help you track your Mingo Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Mingo County was established on January 30, 1895 from Logan County. The county was named in honor of the Mingo Indian tribe that had been the earliest known settlers of the region.
The County Seat is located in Williamson and the county government website is http://www.mingocountywv.com
Areas adjacent to Mingo County are Lincoln County (north), Logan County (northeast), Wyoming County (east), McDowell County (southeast), Pike County, Kentucky (west), Martin County, Kentucky (west), Wayne County (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Baisden, Blackberry City, Borderland, Breeden, Edgarton, Emmett, Gilbert, Hampden, Justice, Kermit, Lenore, Lobata, Matewan, Meador, Myrtle, Naugatuck, Newtown, Nolan, North Matewan, Ragland, Rawl, Red Jacket, Sprigg, Thacker, Varney, Verner, Vulcan, Wharncliffe, Williamson
Mingo County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Mingo County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mingo County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also West Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Mingo County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Mingo County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Mingo County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Mingo County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county. Courthouse flooded in 1977, heavily damaging records. Mingo was not created until 1895, so Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) was not interested in filming Mingo's records during the 1960's-70's when they filmed other counties because LDS was concentrating on pre-1900 records at the time. By the time Mingo records were scheduled for filming, privacy laws had been enacted which prevented copying many records. Births for 1900-24, Deaths for 1894-1925, Marriages for 1895-1926 and Wills for 1895-1926 were filmed.
- Mingo County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 75 E 2nd Ave, Williamson, WV 25661
- Mingo County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: 304-235-0330
- Birth / Death Records: 1895
- Marriage Records: 1895
- Land Records: 1895
- Probate Records: 1895
- Mingo County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: (304) 235 0320
- Court Records: 1895
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
West Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include West Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; West Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; West Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; West Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; West Virginia Obituary Records; West Virginia Military Records; West Virginia Family Tree Records; West Virginia Pictures; West Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; West Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Mingo County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Mingo County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Mingo County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Mingo Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Mingo Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Mingo Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Mingo Co. WV Census Records
Mingo Co. WV Cemeteries & Graveyards
Mingo Co. WV Church & Bible Records
Mingo Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Mingo Co. WV General and History Websites
Mingo Co. WV Immigration & Naturalization
Mingo Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Mingo Co. WV Military Records
Mingo Co. WV Schools & Directories