Marshall County, West Virginia Genealogy
Marshall County, West Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to help you track your Marshall Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Marshall County was established on March 12, 1835 from Ohio County. The county was named in honor of John Marshall (1755-1835), U.S. Secretary of State and Chief Justice of the U.S..
The County Seat is located in Moundsville and the county government website is http://www.marshallcountywv.org/
Areas adjacent to Marshall County are Ohio County (north), Washington County, Pennsylvania (northeast), Greene County, Pennsylvania (east), Wetzel County (south), Monroe County, Ohio (southwest), Belmont County, Ohio (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Benwood, Cameron, Dallas, Glen Dale, Glen Easton, McMechen, Moundsville, Proctor, Wheeling
Marshall County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Marshall County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also West Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Marshall County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Marshall County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Marshall County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Marshall County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Marshall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 600 7th Street, Moundsville, WV 26041
- Marshall County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: (304) 845-1220
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Land Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Marshall County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: (304) 845-2130
- Court Records: 1835
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
West Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include West Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; West Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; West Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; West Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; West Virginia Obituary Records; West Virginia Military Records; West Virginia Family Tree Records; West Virginia Pictures; West Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; West Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Marshall County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Marshall County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Marshall County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Marshall Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Marshall Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Marshall Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Marshall Co. WV Census Records
Marshall Co. WV Cemeteries & Graveyards
Marshall Co. WV Church & Bible Records
Marshall Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Marshall Co. WV General and History Websites
Marshall Co. WV Immigration & Naturalization
Marshall Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Marshall Co. WV Military Records
Marshall Co. WV Schools & Directories