Jackson County, West Virginia Genealogy
Jackson County, West Virginia genealogy and family tree research page. Locate links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to help you track your Jackson Co., ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County was established on March 1, 1831 from parts of Kanawha County, Mason County and Wood County. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), President of the United States (1829-1837).
The County Seat is located in Ripley and the county government website is http://www.jacksoncounty.wv.gov
Areas adjacent to Jackson County are Wood County (north), Wirt County (northeast), Roane County (east), Kanawha County (south), Putnam County (southeast), Mason County (west), Meigs County, Ohio (northwest).
Cities and towns located in the county include Advent, Cottageville, Duncan, Evans, Gay, Given, Kenna, Kentuck, Le Roy, Liverpool, Millwood, Mount Alto, Murraysville, Ravenswood, Ripley, Rock Castle, Romance, Sandyville, Sherman, Statts Mills
Jackson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Jackson County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also West Virginia Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the benefits of Jackson County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information and facts. Buried away in West Virginia courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the dreams and worries of many West Virginia residents.
The chances are excellent that your potential ancestors and forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a few factors of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into account all of the other procedures which often can have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
You need to contact the clerk's office to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars just before visiting or seeking information because of from time to time changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records and documents are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many employees will aid men and women in locating the resources, but it is up to the man or women to carry out the researching.
The below information denotes whatever death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and legal records can be found in Jackson County. The years pointed out below could be the first known documents for this particular county.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 Court Street North, Ripley, WV 25271
- Jackson County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, serve as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: 304-373-2250
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Land Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1831
- Jackson County Clerk of Circuit Court has many responsibilities which include some of the following: Serve as the Clerk to the Circuit and Family Court, Issue mesne (during the progress of a case) process, Issue final process to enforce and execute judgements, Appoint guardian ad litem where required, Responsible for all papers filed in the office; serve as registrar, recorder and custodian for all pleadings, documents and funds pertaining to cases filed in circuit court and family court, Responsible for the administration and management of the petit and grand jury systems in the county.
- Phone: 304-373-2210
- Court Records: 1831
- West Virginia Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
West Virginia Historical Records
- Databases include West Virginia Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; West Virginia Birth, Marriage & Death Records; West Virginia Voter Lists & Census Records; West Virginia Immigration & Emigration Records; West Virginia Obituary Records; West Virginia Military Records; West Virginia Family Tree Records; West Virginia Pictures; West Virginia Stories, Memories & Histories; West Virginia Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Jackson County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources related to Jackson County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Jackson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records
for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
Jackson Co. WV Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. WV Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. WV Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. WV Census Records
Jackson Co. WV Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. WV Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. WV Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. WV General and History Websites
Jackson Co. WV Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. WV Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. WV Military Records
Jackson Co. WV Schools & Directories